Hotmail was the first web-based email service that was developed by Sabeer Bhatia and Jack Smith in the year 1996. When Hotmail was developed, it was the most popular and widely used email services back then. Later on, Hotmail was renamed to MSN Hotmail which was an email service with many new and advanced features. These features were so alluring during those days that it attracted millions of users towards using it
Hotmail proved to be one of the most successful ideas of that time and the amount of appreciation it got was humongous. In the field of the web-based electronic mail system, Hotmail was a huge success and proved to be a revolution and within six months of the launch, Hotmail attracted more than one million people which was huge.
The confusion between Hotmail and Outlook
There is a misconception amongst people that Hotmail is Hotmail’s Mail Service and Outlook is Microsoft’s Mail Service which is correct to an extent. Both had separate mail services till the year 1998 but in the year 1998, Microsoft acquired Hotmail and till 2011, Hotmail had 360 million registered users across the world. Hotmail was changed to the name of MSN Hotmail when Microsoft acquired it
If you were a Hotmail user and your email address ended with hotmail.com, it remained the same and this led to a lot of confusion between the users. Microsoft did not change the domain name of the old Hotmail users as Hotmail was widely popular. Now as Hotmail.com is redirected to Outlook, But you can still create an account with @Hotmail.com. Outlook is still offering to their new users to create the account with @Hotmail.com.
It took some time for the old Hotmail users to sync with the new Outlook but now everybody has realized that Outlook is the only thing they have. When compared to the old web-based Hotmail, the new Outlook is far better in terms of features, ease of use and looks as well. It is way faster as compared to traditional web-based emails hence it is widely used in the world. There were initially some confusions regarding the rebranding but now, everything is perfect.
How to Download Hotmail Application For PC
As we have discussed already that Hotmail is replaced by Outlook which is a Microsoft Product for desktop emails and is one of the most popular email services in the world. If you are using a Windows desktop i.e. a desktop with a Windows Operating system in it, you have to purchase Outlook from the Official Site of Microsoft. If you are not purchasing it, you are eligible to download a free trial pack of Outlook which will only be valid for a month or so and then you have to purchase it to continue using the services. The cost of the paid version of Microsoft Outlook is $129.99.
Please remember, this is the cost of only the email client Outlook and if you want to use other Office services like Word and Excel, you have purchase Office 365 separately. If you purchase Office-365, you will get Outlook with the pack. The steps for downloading Outlook are given below.
- As soon as you pay for Outlook, you will be able to download the exe file of it.
- Based on your internet speed and hardware configuration, your software will be downloaded into your computer
- When the software is download, run it by double clicking the exe file.
- You will now see the Outlook app on your desktop in which you can configure your mails and start using the client. We will discuss the configuration of email in the later part of the article.
How to Download Hotmail for Mac OS
The points to be noted here is that Windows does not sell Outlook separately for Mac OS and you can follow the same steps for download and installation as mentioned above. The only difference here would be instead of .exe file getting downloaded in case of Windows, on Mac OS, you will be downloading a .dmg file. The installation process is quite similar and you just have to follow the screen instructions to successfully install Hotmail for Mac OS.
How to Configuring Hotmail
Now since we have installed and run the Hotmail/Outlook app successfully on our PC, we need to configure the mail client with our emails so that we can download emails from the mail server. Please remember, the configuration process for both Mac OS and Windows are almost the same and if you know how to configure one, you will easily be able to configure on a different operating system. Here I will be telling you the steps to configure Outlook 2010, but do not worry as the installation process is almost similar in all the versions.
- Open Microsoft Outlook and click on File.
- On file, click on Add Account to add a new email account to your Outlook.
- Put a check on “Manually configure server settings or additional server types” and click on Next
- Select Internet Email and click on Next button
- Enter your name as you want to see on Outlook and the email address you want to configure. Remember, you can add multiple email accounts too.
- Choose IMAP as your account type
- For IMAP, enter imap.one.com whereas for SMTP, enter send.one.com
- Click on the Select Outgoing tab and then check the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
- Select Advanced and put the following
- For (IMAP) enter 993 and select SSL.
- For (SMTP) enter 465 and select SSL.
- For Root folder path enter INBOX in uppercase
- After you are done with the process, click on OK
10. Click on Finish to complete the setup wizard and your Outlook is successfully configured with your desired email address.
11. You can open Outlook and start syncing your emails.
We have seen in this article how to download and configure Hotmail (Outlook) on Windows and Mac OS on your PC. You must remember that Hotmail has been replaced by Outlook which is the mail client now. If you have doubts regarding anything in this article, there is a comment box below where you ask questions, comment on what you felt about the article as well as give your valuable suggestions and feedback.